Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker is inviting applications for the full-time position of Support Scientist. This position reports to the Scientific Support Manager, and will be responsible for assisting customers with product selection, providing evaluation support, workflow optimization, and troubleshooting across Watchmaker’s portfolio of precision enzymes and next generation sequencing (NGS) solutions.
As a key member of the Scientific Support team, this individual will also participate in the development and improvement of key commercial processes to ensure that Watchmaker Genomics provides its customers with world class scientific support.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to grow and develop as a scientist and gain valuable experience in the intersection of applications development, technical support, and product commercialization.
- Develop expert-level knowledge of Watchmaker’s product portfolio and applications supported by Watchmaker products
- Collaborate with customers in the planning, design and execution of scientific projects to support the successful evaluation and implementation of Watchmaker products
- Provide consultative technical support to customers and the Watchmaker Sales team via phone and email
- Document customer issues, investigate underlying causes (including lab-based troubleshooting), and define solution to rapidly resolve problems
- Work closely with the commercial team to identify and support collaborations with leading research institutions and industry partners
- Collect feedback from customers and communicate to Marketing and R&D teams (or product teams) to help guide product development and contribute to product lifecycle management
- Travel to participate in customer meetings, national and/or local conferences, and to perform on-site troubleshooting or training.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology or related field.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 2-3 years of practical experience with NGS sample preparation workflows and applications, preferably with the Illumina sequencing platforms
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant industry experience
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
- Previous experience with protocol development and optimization
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a strong customer focus and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team towards corporate goals
- Excellent organizational abilities as well as superior verbal and written communication skills
- This position requires 25% travel
- Letter of motivation
- A current email address and mobile phone number
- The names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements.
- Applications not accompanied by a letter of motivation and the contact information for two professional references will not be considered.