Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado and has an R&D facility in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics is inviting applications for the full-time position of Senior NPD Manager. This position reports to the Process Development and NPD Team Lead and will be responsible for coordinating and contributing to new product commercialization, and the cross-functional management of teams including Research and Development, Manufacturing, Operations, and Quality Assurance. This role is essential for shepherding early phase products through Watchmaker’s rigorous New Product Development process. This is meant to ensure smooth transfers of manufacturing and QC processes to Production with the ultimate goal of having the customer’s experience with Watchmaker’s products reflect the quality of design embedded in each of our products. The ideal candidate will also have a firm understanding of new product development design control, ISO13485, molecular biology, next-generation sequencing and advanced genomics applications.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to gain valuable experience in both product development and cross-functional management to complement a strong technical background.
- Champion the New Product Development (NPD) process and ensure projects adhere to NPD requirements
- Support R&D scientists from product concept and feasibility to commercial launch through development of comprehensive project plans, coordination of internal resources, and NPD process guidance
- Contribute to the execution of NPD documentation, project design control scope, and design validation strategy
- Facilitate the initial technology transfer from R&D to Process Development and final design transfer to Manufacturing
- Manage several development projects towards on time, in scope, and on budget product launches
- Develop and maintain project schedule
- Communicate project status and risks effectively to the leadership team
- Identify and creatively resolve project problems, issues and risks
- Identify and manage interdependencies and constraints between systems and processes, and effectively coordinate cross-functional execution
- Work closely with the Commercial Team to gain a clear understanding of commercial needs during the development process through documentation of product specifications and customer requirements
- Provide ongoing training on New Product Development processes to new and current team members and project management tools to drive accountability and effectiveness
- Inform continuous improvement of the NPD process
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
The candidate should have a degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline, with at least three years of relevant industry experience. Experience in the following areas is considered highly desirable: next-generation sequencing (NGS), sample preparation, PCR, synthetic biology and recombinant protein production. Previous experience in product management, project management or other commercial functions of life science business is considered a plus.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- New Product Development from ideation to commercialization
- Product design, process, and test method validation
- Demonstrated ability to manage highly technical product development processes across functions
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in customer facing presentations and project team meetings
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure and work without supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a cross-functional team
- Experience with new product development, standard molecular biology techniques such as PCR, cloning and next-generation sequencing
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Good communication and personal task management skills and a high level of self-motivation
- Ability to determine project timelines and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience
- M.Sc (plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant industry experience) or BS (plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry (or related discipline).
Compensation for this role includes base + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.