Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics is inviting applications for the full-time position of Scientist – Enzymology. This position reports to the Team Lead of the Enzyme Development Group and will be responsible for a research program focused on development of assays for the characterization of wild-type and engineered enzymes. This position will participate in engineering novel enzymes, optimizing reaction and stability characterization for wild-type and novel enzymes, biochemical protein characterization, and process discovery and development for enzyme manufacturing and QC. This individual will be responsible for rigorous experimental design, data analysis and data interpretation. This position will interface directly across all aspects of commercialization, including product management, marketing, manufacturing, quality control, and technical support.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to gain valuable experience in both commercialization and management to complement a strong technical background.
- Establish a highly innovative and efficient enzymology assay development program and culture
- Work closely with the Team Lead and scientific team to conceptualize, design and validate new assay ideas that support the commercialization pipeline
- Design, execute, document, and interpret data from molecular biology experiments
- Train, and motivate a growing team of research scientists
- Contribute to process/method development in areas including quality control and manufacturing
- Participate in customer collaborations and product support
- Identify opportunities for internal process improvement
- Work collaboratively with the Process Development Team for tech transfer of enzyme assays from development to a formalized work instruction
- Carefully interpret data and accurately document the details of all experiments in an electronic lab notebook
- Work collaboratively with research scientists to design and execute experiments, and to implement and maintain laboratory protocols
- Plan and perform R&D enzyme process development experiments including: enzyme expression optimization, enzyme purification and enzyme assay development
- Contribute to a team responsible for launch of commercially successful genomics products
The candidate should have a PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related discipline, with at least three years of relevant research experience. Experience in the following areas is considered highly desirable: development and execution of assays to measure enzyme kinetics (required), development of functional assays for nucleic acid-modifying enzymes, next-generation sequencing (NGS), PCR, qPCR, gene cloning, and recombinant protein production and isolation. Knowledge of the biochemistry of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes, structural modeling of enzymes and computational analysis of protein families are a plus.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- Track record of successfully proposing and executing interdisciplinary research projects
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure and work without supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a goal-oriented team
- Adept and creative problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, troubleshoot, and interpret high quality experiments
- Rigorous data analysis skills, including basic statistics and bioinformatics
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience
- PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology, or related field with 0-5 years of postdoctoral and/or industry experience
The base compensation for the Scientist I – Enzymology role starts at $72,000-$82,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience; open to applications at the Scientist II or Senior Scientist levels with commensurate experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.