Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker is inviting applications for the full-time position of Scientific Support Manager. This position reports to the Vice President of Strategic Marketing, and will be responsible for building and leading a skilled team of Support Scientists that provide in-house and field-based technical support for customers and Sales Specialists for Watchmaker’s portfolio of precision enzymes and next generation sequencing (NGS) products. This individual will also oversee the development and implementation of key support processes to ensure that Watchmaker Genomics provides its customers with world class scientific support.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to lead a team of scientists that play a critical role in the organization and reside at the intersection of applications development, technical support, and product commercialization.
- Lead a team of Support Scientists that assist customers with product selection, evaluation support, workflow optimization, and troubleshooting
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and evaluating Support Team members
- Must maintain expert-level knowledge of Watchmaker’s product portfolio and associated applications and oversee the development of training material, including creation of training requirements for Support Team members
- Oversee the development and refinement of processes and materials used by the Scientific Support organization to improve the information and tools to advance the needs of customers and to help to build a world-class scientific support organization
- Responsible for developing and tracking key performance indicators to monitor and improve support performance
- Ensure team is compliant with properly documenting customer issues, investigating underlying causes (including lab-based troubleshooting), and defining solutions to resolve problems in a timely manner
- Authorize and oversee proof-of-principle activities to accelerate the sales cycle, including both pre-sales and post-sales troubleshooting for Key Accounts and/or new opportunities
- Work closely with the commercial team to identify and support collaborations with leading research institutions and industry partners
- Oversee Support team’s role in the New Product Development process, including external evaluation of pre-launch product material and workflows to provide feedback to product development teams and to aid in the generation of product support, training documentation, and marketing collateral needed for product commercialization
- Collect feedback from customers and communicate to Marketing and Product teams to help guide product development and contribute to product lifecycle management
- Travel to participate in customer meetings, present seminars, attend conferences, and to perform on-site troubleshooting or training.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology or related field. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience with NGS sample preparation workflows and applications, preferably with the Illumina sequencing platforms
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant industry experience; scientific support / customer-facing experience
- Minimum of 2 years of management experience
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
- Previous experience with protocol development and optimization
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a strong customer focus and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team towards corporate goals
- Analytical thinking, planning and organization, problem solving and decision making ability
- Excellent organizational abilities as well as superior verbal and written communication skills
- This position requires 25% travel
- Letter of motivation
- A current email address and mobile phone number
- The names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements.
- Applications not accompanied by a letter of motivation and the contact information for two professional references will not be considered.
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8-hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Eligible for Bonus Pay
- Vaccination is required, mask is required while in the buildings.