Watchmaker Genomics is a life science company based in Boulder, Colorado. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity, and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering, and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics, and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker is inviting applications for the full-time position of Research Associate, Process Development focusing on Test Method Development and Validation (TMD/V).
This position reports to a Research Scientist, Process Development and will be responsible for aiding in the development and validation of new test methods, trending and analysis of test method performance, and investigation of process improvements to support on-market and novel products as part of the New Product Development (NPD) process. The ideal candidate will have experience in assay development for a wide variety of molecular biology applications such as RT-QPCR, spectrophotometry, and Next Gen Sequencing (NGS). The ability to operate under the guidance of a Quality Management System (QMS) and familiarity with ISO 13485:2016 standards are a plus.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to gain valuable experience in product development, scientific methods, independent research, and quality control to grow as an independent thinker and well-rounded scientist.
- Collaborate effectively with R&D, Process Development (PD), Commercial, and Operations teams
- Assist and lead in the planning, designing, execution, troubleshooting, and presentation of experiments
- Analyze and interpret experimental results and historical data, including graphing and statistical analysis
- Maintain records with experimental data, analyses, and summaries captured electronically and in an organized lab notebook
- Record and communicate findings with accuracy and clarity to audiences of varying technical backgrounds
- Consult in the onboarding and qualification of new laboratory instruments, including authoring user requirement specifications, IOQ protocols, data integrity risk assessments, and operation and maintenance
- Ensure proper labeling, handling, and storage of all reagents used in the lab, adheres to all safety requirements and follows safe procedures, and attends all required safety and health training, including handling hazardous waste
- Contribute to the NPD and Product Quality Care processes:
- Generate process maps, execute risk assessments, and document FMEAs
- Create, review, revise, and publish Work Instructions (WIs)
- Assist in the design transfer of processes into Operations including performing training and identifying improvements and/or improving work instructions when necessary
- Operate under the guidance of Watchmaker’s Quality System to assist in the implementation and adherence to ISO13485 standards
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
The candidate should have a degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline. Knowledge of life science reagents, genomics, next-generation sequencing (NGS), PCR and recombinant protein production are all highly desirable.
- Familiarity with basic molecular biology and enzymology principles and mechanisms
- Some experience with designing and/or executing standard molecular biology techniques such as PCR, fragment analysis, cloning or next-generation sequencing
- Demonstrated scientific excellence in technical work, written and verbal communication
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure, and work without supervision along project timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a cross-functional team
- Excellent organizational skills, outstanding attention to detail, and a high level of self-motivation
The following skills and experience are preferred for the position:
- Familiarity with Google suite of programs (Drive, Sheets, Slides, Docs, etc.)
- Practice with basic descriptive and inferential statistics, data handling, and statistical software including GraphPad Prism, R, and JMP
- Ability to interpret data, troubleshoot, think critically, and make sound decisions
- Knowledge of ISO13485 standards and how to operate within a structured QMS
- BS/BA with 2-5+ yrs industry experience, or MS with 0-3+ years of industry experience
The base compensation for the Research Associate, Process Development role starts at $55,000 – $70,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Short Term Disability, EAP, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
To apply for the position, please submit the following in a PDF format on watchmakergenomics.com:
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of three professional references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in the United States of America; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in the United States.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.