Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker is inviting applications for the full-time position of Production Manager – QC.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Operations and will be responsible for managing the Production QC Department. This individual will be accountable for creating departmental goals, developing and adhering to departmental budgets and managing daily departmental activities.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to grow and develop as a Production leader.
- Supports the Senior Director of Operations in developing manufacturing strategies and leads the execution of such strategies
- Establishes departmental goals to support robust manufacturing processes and continuous process improvement
- Tracks KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) to measure and support quality objectives
- Participates in financial management of the Production QC Department, through development and monitoring of departmental budgets and inventory control
- Participates in the final stages of process development by testing prototype material to inform and formalize work instructions, and facilitate transfer to the Production Team
- Actively responds to and resolves personnel, operational, process, equipment and maintenance problems to prevent operational upsets
- Assists in developing the manufacturing schedule and ensures adherence to the schedule by actively collaborating with other manufacturing areas and promotes cross-functionality where needed and/or where practical
- Possesses proficient technical understanding of test methods and ability to carry-out product testing as needed
- Drives QC troubleshooting and escalates issues to the appropriate R&D Team member when needed
- Verifies accuracy of QC records upon approval in eQMS.
- Communicates release of material from QC for acceptance into inventory
- Promotes a culture of high performance, execution, and quality
- Supports the career development of direct reports through active mentorship
Skills and Requirements
BS in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related discipline required (MS preferred), with ten+ years of relevant industry experience, including manufacturing, quality control, or project management. Broad technical knowledge of life science reagents, enzyme production, or genomics is a plus. Experience in biotech and a start-up environment are highly desirable.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- Exceptional leadership and cross-functional team-building skills
- Strong, positive interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Skilled at building and managing schedules, timelines, and resource allocation
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- The ability to multitask, be able to work at a high standard, perform consistently under pressure along with pre-determined deadlines and work without supervision
- Good communication and personal task management skills and a high level of self-motivation and initiative
- A creative and disciplined approach to problem-solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read, write, and edit technical documents
Education and Experience
- BS in molecular biology, biochemistry, or relevant life science discipline required; an advanced degree (MS) preferred
- Minimum of 10+ years biotech or related industry experience, including positions with broad functional scope across manufacturing, quality, and project management
The base compensation for the Production Manager – QC role is $90,000-105,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Short Term Disability, EAP, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
To apply for the position, please submit the following in a PDF format on watchmakergenomics.com:
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of three professional references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in the United States of America; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in the United States.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.