Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker is inviting applications for the full-time position of Production Manager – Enzyme Manufacturing. This position reports to the Associate Director of Production and will be responsible for managing the Production Enzyme Manufacturing Department. This individual will be accountable for creating departmental goals, developing and adhering to departmental budgets and managing daily departmental activities.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to grow and develop as a Production leader.
- Maintain compliance with QA and ISO 13485 requirements
- Motivate, support and provide guidance to production staff
- Ensure all safety and health standards are met
- Communicate regularly with upper management regarding problems or issues impacting production
- Evaluate machine resources to ensure continued production and minimal downtime
- Establish a balance between increased productivity and reduced costs of manufacturing operations
- Set productivity goals for enzyme manufacturing team
- Develop workflow policies and procedures that improve efficiency without compromising safety or quality
- Ensure adequate scheduling of staff
- Establishes departmental goals to support robust manufacturing processes and continuous process improvement
- Tracks KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) to measure and support quality objectives, supply chain, and department goals
- Assists in developing the manufacturing schedule and ensures adherence to the manufacturing schedule by actively collaborating with other manufacturing areas and promotes cross-functionality where needed and/or where practical
- Actively manages inventory requirements to ensure execution of the manufacturing schedule
- Responds to and escalates operational, process, equipment and maintenance problems to the Director of Production to prevent operational upsets
- Participates in financial management of the Production Enzyme Manufacturing Department, through development and monitoring of departmental budgets and inventory control
- Participates in the final stages of process development, formalization of work instructions, and transfer to the Production Team.
- Works with QA and process development to update current work instructions and implement their use
- Drives manufacturing troubleshooting and escalates issues to the appropriate Subject Matter Expert (SME) and management when needed
- Verifies accuracy of manufacturing records upon completion
- Possesses and keeps up to date on having proficient technical understanding of chromatography and the ability to carry-out enzyme manufacturing as needed
- Promotes a culture of high performance, execution, and quality
- Responsible for developing goals and objectives for each team member aligned with department goals and KPIs, onboarding and training of new employees, 30- 60-90 day plans, adherence to training logs, and ensuring team’s adherence to ISO operational standards established by the company
- Supports the career development of direct reports through active mentorship.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
Minimum of (5+) years in biotech or related industry, including manufacturing, quality control, or project management. Broad technical knowledge of life science reagents, enzyme production, or genomics is a plus.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- Exceptional leadership and cross-functional team-building skills
- Skilled at building and managing schedules, timelines, and resource allocation
- AKTA HPLC experience preferred, knowledge of Unicorn software
- Previous management experience required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read, write, and edit technical documents
- An undergraduate degree (BS/BA) in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a relevant life science discipline is required; an advanced degree (MS/MBA) preferred.
The base compensation for the Production Manager Enzyme role with five (5) years of experience starts at $70,000; applicants with a minimum of eight (8) years experience fall into the range of $90,000-$110,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Short-Term Disability, EAP, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
To apply for this position, please include a:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of three professional references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in the United States of America; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in the United States.