Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado and has an R&D facility in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
This position reports to a Process Development Scientist II and will work as part of the Process Development team to perform technical transfers of new products and processes from R&D into Production. This highly collaborative position will work closely with R&D, Production, Quality Control and Quality Assurance to develop and implement processes to achieve product realization in an efficient and compliant manner.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to grow and develop as a scientist and gain valuable experience at the intersection of R&D, technical transfers and product realization.
- Collaborate with R&D to understand new products and to identify key opportunities to mitigate risk during the tech transfer and production implementation
- Support New Product Development (NPD) activities throughout the new product life cycle
- Independently devise, optimize and implement new and existing processes while maintaining compliance to change control procedures
- Author, revise and publish work instructions, batch record templates, risk analyses and NPD related documentation
- Train various teams (R&D, Production, etc.) in new and revised processes
- Lead and/or contribute to continuous improvement projects
- Plan, carry out and supervise validation activities
- Design, execute and record experiments with scientific rigor
- Analyze and interpret experimental results including graphing and statistical analysis
- Record, communicate and present findings with accuracy and clarity
- Advise on procuring and installing/modifying tools and equipment
- Identify opportunities for improvement in Production, NPD or other departments
- Contribute to laboratory maintenance including ordering of raw materials, maintaining equipment and cleaning/organizing the lab
- Other duties as assigned
The candidate should have a degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline, with at least two years of relevant industry experience. Knowledge of life science reagents, genomics, next-generation sequencing (NGS), PCR and recombinant protein production are all highly desirable.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- Demonstrated scientific excellence in technical work, written and verbal communication
- Familiarity with ISO13485 standards and operating within a structured quality management system (QMS)
- Some knowledge of production processes, manufacturing technologies, process design, and implementation of safe, compliant and efficient processes
- Some experience with standard molecular biology techniques such as PCR, molecular cloning, protein expression, gel electrophoresis, fragment analysis, spectrophotometry and next-generation sequencing
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure and work without supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and an excellent ability to collaborate in multi-level, cross-functional teams
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Good communication and personal task management skills and a high level of self-motivation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft and/or Google suite of programs is preferred
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant life science discipline is required
- Minimum of (2+) years in biotech or related industry, including positions with broad functional scope across research and development, technical transfers, manufacturing, quality control, and quality assurance
The base compensation for the Process Development Scientist role starts at $72,000-78,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.