Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado and has an R&D facility in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
As part of the Process Development team, you will apply your expertise to design, develop and transfer production processes to ensure that we are successful in delivering high-quality, innovative products to our customers in global genomics and synthetic biology markets. You will be based in Cape Town, and will collaborate closely with colleagues here and at our headquarters in Boulder, Colorado (USA).
- Complete process/method development in areas including quality control and manufacturing
- Develop industry-leading manufacturing and QC strategies and processes to support high quality standards at appropriate manufacturing scales
- Work closely with scientific teams to conceptualize, design and validate new products that support the commercial pipeline
- Design, execute and interpret data from molecular biology experiments
- Accurately document details of all experiments in an electronic lab notebook; meticulously analyze and interpret data; and regularly present results and project status updates to managers and peers for discussion
- Contribute to inventing and developing innovative technologies for the genomics and synthetic biology markets
Required Qualifications and Experience
- MSc, MEng, PhD(Eng), PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry or bioprocess engineering with 3 years relevant
- Demonstrated ability to execute, reproduce, analyze and troubleshoot molecular biology experiments
- Ability to design and analyze statistically robust experiments
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure and work without supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Good communication and personal task management skills and a high level of self-motivation and initiative
- A creative and disciplined approach to problem-solving
Expertise in the following areas is considered highly desirable:
- Next-generation sequencing (NGS), PCR, qPCR, gene cloning, and recombinant protein production and isolation
- Advanced statistical and data analysis e.g. DOE, Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Product and process development, including verification and validation, and design transfer of manufacturing methods and QC assay, and Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Root-cause analysis and related problem-solving; risk management and associated risk assessment tools such as FMEAs
- ISO 13485 quality standards and related Design Control principles
- Letter of motivation
- A current email address and mobile phone number
- The names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements.
- Applications not accompanied by a letter of motivation and the contact information for two professional references will not be considered.
To apply, please visit the posting on Indeed.com.