Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado US with an office in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics (WMG) is inviting applications for the full-time position of NGS Field Application Scientist (FAS) – EMEA. This position reports to the Director of Global Support and will be responsible for providing pre- and post-sales technical and scientific support with a special focus on WMG’s NGS product portfolio. This position will work both remotely and in the field to support Watchmakers’ customers, distributors and sales team members with our products in a technical capacity. This position will be expected to assist customers as needed with product training, initial manual evaluations, design of experiments, data analysis, and troubleshooting. This position will also be expected to perform pre-sales activities such as presenting technical content to new or current customers, co-travel with sales team members, attend conferences, and assist in various marketing activities. This position is field based with travel requirements of up to 50% within EMEA.
Prior experience with process development and manufacturing of complex biological products is desirable to enable translation of customer requirements to internal teams.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to grow and develop and gain valuable experience in technical NGS workflows and customer facing interactions.
This position is expected to maintain knowledge of competitor products, identifying and escalating changes in the market dynamics. This position is also accountable for providing customer feedback on WMG products, in addition to identifying unmet customer needs, that will enable the development of new and innovative products.
- Provide expert understanding and strong technical competency in discussing WMG’s capabilities and product offering with customers, distributors and sales
- Provide scientific support for pre- and post-sales activities in the form of emails, teleconferences, phone calls, and travel to customer sites
- Extensive national and international travel (<50% time) to co-travel with sales team members, attend meetings with key customers, provide training and troubleshooting, and participate in trade shows/conferences
- Identify, nurture, and manage customer collaborations to network, provide leads for the sales team and generate marketing collateral
- Support sales in technical discussions, presentations, and meetings with customers
- Liaise between the customer, Sales, Product Management, and other internal teams including R&D and Production
- Network with customers and provide feedback to Product Management on customer requirements for new applications or products
- Keep informed of competitive market information at industry seminars, trade shows, and conferences and report on trends to Sales and Product Management
- Keep abreast of current and new application areas in the field and summarise for the team
- Additional duties as required within the remit and responsibilities of the role
- 3-5 years experience working with NGS
- MSc/PhD in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field
- Advanced knowledge of and practical experience with experimental design, applications/assay development, NGS library preparation, PCR, qPCR, good lab practices, and troubleshooting
- Experience with automated liquid handling platforms is desirable (including but not limited to Beckman Coulter Biomek iSeries or FXp, Agilent Bravo B, Hamilton NGS STAR, Tecan Fluent or EVO, PerkinElmer Sciclone etc.)
- High self-motivation and must have demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, preferred languages are English/German
- Excellent organisational, prioritisation and time management skills; outstanding attention to detail
- Familiarity with basic bioinformatic design and analysis algorithms is a plus
- Candidates must have a European passport or work permit.
Qualifications and Education
- MSc / PhD educated with a minimum of 3 years experience in research or clinical NGS lab.
To apply for the position, please provide:
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience; including the following: current physical address, email address, and mobile phone number
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications, and abilities to perform the duties of the job.