Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado, United States with a local office in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics is inviting applications for an on-site, full-time position of an IT Support Engineer in our Cape Town office. This position reports to the Director Operations and Global IT and will perform day-to-day service requests resolution, software and hardware incident management, change management, problem identification and resolution, configuration management and end user training activities. Additionally, this position is expected to assist in the creation of new processes, work instructions, infrastructure documentation and knowledge base articles.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. This position will offer unique challenges, learning and growth including the opportunity to support a global service desk team.
Network Infrastructure, Hardware and software
- Troubleshoot hardware, software and operating system issues;
- Network infrastructure support;
- End user change management support;
- Configuration of email, cloud based collaboration tools;
- Provide individual/group training, orientation training and support on request;
- Perform required Computer Systems Validation actions;
- Provide recommendations about storing/accessing information.
Monitor and Maintain
- Monitor availability and performance of all IT service portfolio components via
- Service desk infrastructure;
- Service request and incident management framework;
- Problem resolutions guidelines;
- Other monitoring tools;
- Monitor adherence to internal business processes and procedures;
- Perform regular maintenance tasks;
- As and when required
- Perform and support network troubleshooting activities;
- Submit, track and optimize purchasing from existing and new suppliers.
- It is essential that any candidate must have experience in both Apple and Microsoft Windows client operating systems;
- Experience in monitoring and supporting the use of
- Microsoft Defender for Endpoint,
- Microsoft Endpoint Management,
- Microsoft Office product range;
- Computer networks, hardware and software systems and programs;
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail;
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure and work without supervision;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a global team;
- Supporting a service desk environment and global desktop support team.
Preferred Additional Experience
- Experience in multi-national or corporate environments are essential;
- Experience with the ITIL framework and other IT Service management tools;
- Basic understanding of compliance frameworks;
- Training in
- Google IT Support certificates
- Microsoft Support certificates or similar training/certifications from credible sources;
The candidate must demonstrate the following skills:
- Analytical and problem solving skills;
- Effective written, verbal and presentation and listening communications skills;
- Business relationship management;
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills;
- Stress and Time management.
The candidate must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Honest and trustworthy;
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Flexible and able to work long hours.
Qualifications and Education
- 5+ years with a degree or diploma in Information Technology/Systems, or equivalent qualification from a recognised tertiary institution in Information Technology user support, MCSE/MCTIP certified or another relevant Information Technology discipline.
- 7+ years of relevant Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) experience in a production environment with ITIL framework driven processes.
Physical Demands – Successful candidate(s) will have to spend hours between users, office equipment and computers, which can cause fatigue and extended periods of time away from a desk environment. Lifting of computer equipment, supplies and materials will be required from time to time as well as tracing cables in small confined areas.
Environmental Conditions – Successful candidate(s) may have to manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs and requests of end users. The environment can be busy, noisy and the technician(s) will need excellent organizational, time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
Mental Demands – Successful candidate(s) deals with a stressful environment as many of the end users are on deadlines and require immediate service delivery or incident resolution. It is also a well connected environment with transactional databases where continuous connectivity must be ensured.
To apply for the position, please send email@example.com the following:
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience; including the following: current physical address, email address, and mobile phone number
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in the United States of America; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in the United States.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.