Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado U.S. of America with a local branch office in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity, and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering, and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development, and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics, and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics is inviting applications for an on-site, full-time position of an IT Enterprise Data Warehouse Architect in our Cape Town office. This position reports to the Director Operations and Global IT and will play a pivotal role in the design, development, implementation, and management of our organization’s data warehousing solution. This role is responsible for understanding business data and reporting needs, aligning technology solutions, and ensuring the successful implementation, optimization, and utilization of the selected data warehousing solution with accompanying data related frameworks. The IT Enterprise Data Architect will be a key advocate for leveraging data warehousing and reporting technology to enhance operational efficiency and support data driven business decision making processes.
The role extends to supporting system implementations and integration planning. By collaborating closely with IT software architects, technical teams, and external partners, the individual ensures that the enterprise software implementations are aligned with the organization’s data warehousing strategy and architecture. Their expertise will guarantee seamless data extracts, transformations, and loads from internal and external systems into the data warehousing solution.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. This position will offer unique challenges, learning, and growth including the opportunity to implement global solutions.
- Develop and maintain data models, including dimensional and normalized models, to represent data accurately and efficiently
- Design and implement data schemas and data dictionaries to ensure consistency and clarity of data definitions
- Select, configure, and manage data warehousing platforms and technologies based on organizational needs
Data Integration and ETL Processes
- Design, implement, and optimize ETL processes to extract, transform, and load data from source systems into the data warehouse
- Monitor ETL workflows for performance, reliability, and data quality
- Implement data validation, cleansing, and error handling in ETL processes
- Tune database configurations to ensure high-performance data retrieval
- Monitor system performance, identify and address bottlenecks, and optimize data storage and retrieval
Data Governance, Security and Compliance
- Define and enforce data security measures, access controls, encryption, and authentication to protect sensitive data
- Ensure compliance with data privacy regulations and industry standards
- Develop, enforce, and maintain data governance policies and procedures
- Assign data stewards and establish data ownership responsibilities
Business Intelligence (BI) and Reporting Integration
- Integrate the data warehouse with BI tools to provide data for reporting and analytics;
- Collaborate with BI teams to design user-friendly dashboards and reports.
Scalability and Future-Proofing
- Plan for scalability by selecting technologies that can grow with the organization’s data requirements
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Data warehouse and/or data lake Design, Implementation, and Support Experience: Previous experience in designing, implementing, and supporting enterprise data warehousing systems
- Business Process Understanding: Strong familiarity with various business processes across different departments, such as finance, supply chain, and manufacturing is crucial
- Data Mapping and Transformation: Experience in defining data mapping, transformation, and conversion processes to ensure seamless data load
- Data Transformation: Experience with data manipulation tools and techniques is essential
- Business intelligence tools: Experience in BI tools like Power BI for data visualization and reporting
- Data Governance: Prior experience in establishing and enforcing data governance practices, data quality standards, data lineage, and data ownership is essential
- Project Management: Proven track record in managing projects, especially those related to ERP implementation, upgrades, or integration initiatives. Skills in defining project scopes, timelines, resource allocation, and risk management are important
- Change Management and Training: Experience in change management strategies, including user training and adoption planning, to ensure smooth transitions during implementations
- Vendor and Partner Collaboration: Experience in working collaboratively with external partners, third-party vendors, and consultants to facilitate successful system integrations
The candidate must demonstrate the following skills:
- Data Modeling: Proficiency in creating and managing data models, including dimensional and normalized models, to represent data structures effectively
- Database Expertise: In-depth knowledge of database management systems, both traditional (e.g. SQL Server) and cloud-based platforms (e.g. Azure SQL Data Warehouse)
- ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) Skills: Experience in designing and implementing ETL processes to extract, transform, and load data from source systems into the data warehouse
- Data Integration: Ability to ensure seamless data integration across various data sources, including structured and unstructured data
- SQL and Scripting Languages: Strong proficiency in SQL for querying and managing databases
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective written, verbal and presentation, and listening communications skills
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Stress and Time Management
The candidate must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Resilience: The ability to bounce back from challenges and setbacks is important in a role where complex issues may arise
- Business Acumen: Understanding the business context and how data supports the organization’s goals is important for aligning data solutions with the company’s strategic objectives
- Attention to Detail: Being meticulous and paying attention to details is crucial for ensuring data accuracy and maintaining data quality
- Curiosity: A natural curiosity and a passion for exploring and understanding data are assets, as this role often involves digging deep into data structures and patterns
- Empathy: Understanding the needs and concerns of various stakeholders, including business users, is critical for tailoring data solutions to meet their requirements
- 7+ years experience with a proven track record of designing, implementing, and optimizing data warehousing solutions for complex business requirements, with a degree or diploma in Information Technology/Systems, or equivalent qualification from a recognised tertiary institution in Information Technology
The position will contribute to enhancing the organization’s efficiency, data-driven decision-making, and overall success by serving as a liaison between business units and the IT department. The role is focused on establishing a robust data strategy, governance framework, and related infrastructure to support the organization to achieve its strategic objectives.
To apply for the position, please submit the following in a PDF format on Indeed at: https://za.indeed.com/q-enterprise-architect-l-cape-town,-western-cape-jobs.html?vjk=33d3e784d8a13669
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of three professional references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
If you are a motivated and detail-oriented HR professional with a passion for creating a positive and productive company culture, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in South Africa; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in South Africa.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening, and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.