Watchmaker Genomics (WMG) is a life science company based in Boulder, Colorado and has an R&D facility in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity, and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering, and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker specializes in the design, development, and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics, and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics (WMG) is inviting applications for the full-time position of Field Application Scientist (FAS) Manager.
This position reports to the Director of Global Support and will be mainly responsible for building out and managing a team who will provide field technical support for WMG’s Next-Gen Sequencing (NGS) and precision enzyme product portfolio. This position will support the global FAS team by establishing and implementing process and training while also providing pre- and post-sales technical and scientific support, including presenting technical content to new or current customers, co-travel with sales team members, attending and/or presenting at conferences and assisting with various marketing activities. This position is field based with travel requirements of up to 75% within the US (potentially globally).
Prior experience with providing and managing field application support is required. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, proactive, and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment contributing directly to our company culture and success.
The position is expected to maintain knowledge of current and new NGS products and workflows, our precision enzyme portfolio and associated applications, competitor products and NGS automation support offerings, and identify and escalate changes in the market dynamics. This position is also accountable for providing customer feedback on WMG products, in addition to identifying unmet customer needs that will enable the development of new and innovative products.
- Lead a global team of Field Application Specialists (FASs) who are responsible for providing pre- and post-sales technical and scientific support for WMG’s NGS and precision enzyme product portfolio.
- Establishing and implementing process and training for the FAS team to help build a world-class field-based scientific support organization.
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and evaluating FAS team members to expand WMG’s presence in the NGS and precision enzyme market.
- Maintain expert-level knowledge of current and new NGS products and workflows, our precision enzyme portfolio and associated applications, competitor products and NGS automation support offerings.
- Development of training material, and presenting technical content to new or current customers, including creation of training requirements for FAS team members.
- Accountable for providing customer and market feedback on WMG products, in addition to identifying unmet customer needs that will enable the development of new and innovative products.
- Work closely with the commercial team to identify and support collaborations with leading research institutions and industry partners to accelerate the sales cycle, including both pre-sales and post-sales troubleshooting for Key Accounts and/or new opportunities.
- Participate in sales, marketing, and product strategy meetings when appropriate.
- Extensive national and international travel (<75% time) to co-travel with sales team members, attend meetings with key customers, provide training and troubleshooting, and participate in trade shows/conferences.
- Supports the Quality System and Quality Policy by following procedures/work instructions and creating records to meet the requirements of the Quality System Regulation
- Additional duties as required within the remit and responsibilities of the role
Required Qualifications and Experience
Relevant experience providing field-based applications support for next-generation sequencing (NGS) experiments and/or other advanced genomics applications. Relevant experience includes working in high-throughput sequencing labs developing, optimizing and troubleshooting NGS workflows both manually and on automated platforms and managing large sequencing projects.
Direct management and/or supervisory experience of a remote team is required.
Qualified candidates will have a proactive approach with a can-do attitude, and be great communicators with a high level of self-motivation. Candidates will also have a strong desire to continually improve, learn and collaborate to help WMG stay at the forefront of exciting new applications spaces. Candidates will be able to demonstrate a high standard experience to our customer base, excel in the art of troubleshooting, and take ownership and pride in their work.
Candidates will have the courage to initiate discussions with customers to challenge the current “status quo” and have the confidence to drive change and adoption of new concepts. Full product training will be provided.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- MSc/PhD in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field
- 10+ Years experience within NGS field applications and managerial experience
- Advanced knowledge of and practical experience with experimental design, applications/assay development, NGS library preparation, PCR, qPCR, good lab practices, and troubleshooting
- Strong customer consultative skills which includes application of scientific knowledge and analysis, exceptional customer engagement, and fostering of customer relationships
- High self-motivation and must have demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Serves as a technical mentor to others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, multiple languages is a plus
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Outstanding attention to detail
The base compensation for the FAS Manager role starts at $120,000-140,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Short Term Disability, EAP, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
To apply for the position, please submit the following in a PDF format on watchmakergenomics.com:
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of three professional references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in the United States of America; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in the United States.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.