Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado and has an R&D facility in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics is inviting applications for the full-time position of Enzyme Purification Technician. This position reports to the Production Manager – Enzyme Manufacturing, and will support existing enzyme manufacturing procedures. This position will interface directly across all aspects of production, including quality control, logistics and technical support.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. This position will offer unique challenges and an opportunity to gain valuable experience in both manufacturing and commercialization.
The primary functions of a Enzyme Purification Technician at Watchmaker Genomics are to:
- Perform routine small-scale and large-scale protein purification.
- Assist with preparation of buffers and solutions to be used in downstream processes.
- Support the Enzyme Manufacturing Department to meet commercial goals and timelines.
- Work closely with the process development team to support new manufacturing protocols.
- Clean and maintain laboratory equipment and areas.
- Maintain an accurate raw material and finished goods inventory.
- Identify opportunities and implement changes to improve existing processes.
- Maintain compliance with the Watchmaker Genomics quality standards.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 2 years of experience in a life sciences production or laboratory environment.
- Knowledge or experience in recombinant protein production and chromatography.
- Ability to pipette liquids, weigh powders, and accurately identify and record measurements.
- Ability to quickly learn and execute on basic laboratory techniques.
- Ability to accurately and reproducibly execute technical process specifications and procedures.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft or Google spreadsheets and word processing software.
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail.
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure, and work without supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a team.
- Good communication, personal task management skills, and a high level of self-motivation.
- Ability to work on their feet and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes and characterization assays are a plus.
- Drafting/revising and publishing of work instructions or standard operating procedures.
- Providing support in a fast-paced environment (experience with high-growth start-up environments is a plus).
- Basic understanding of ISO 13485 and/or experience working in an ISO compliant facility.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline
The base compensation for the Enzyme Purification Technician role starts at $55,000-65,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
To apply for the position, please submit the following in a PDF format on watchmakergenomics.com:
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in the United States of America; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in the United States.