Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering, and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development, and production of DNA and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics, and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics is inviting applications for the full-time position of Custom Product Coordinator for the Custom Portfolio Team.
This position is within the Marketing Team and will be responsible for managing all Custom and OEM product requests. In particular, this individual will work with internal R&D teams, Process Development, Product Management, and OEM Sales to establish feasibility and implement plans to efficiently and successfully complete custom projects; interface closely with the commercial team to capture customer requirements; work closely with Quality Assurance to complete documentation within Watchmaker’s governance framework and quality management system (QMS); and ensure accurate process transfer to the Production team. This individual will also assist in project management across the lifecycle of multiple, simultaneous custom efforts. The ideal candidate will also have a firm understanding of molecular biology and manufacturing processes focused on reagents for molecular diagnostics and next generation sequencing.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to gain valuable experience in both custom product differentiation and cross-functional management to complement a strong technical background.
- Engage directly with customers on custom project calls, organizing and assigning detailed actions across functions to ensure timely execution, status updates, and the highest level of customer satisfaction
- Manage diverse custom development projects towards on-time, in-scope, and on- budget product deliverables
- Manage changes, additions, optimizations, and customer relationships over the life cycle of custom products
- Generate documents supporting the Product Development process and QMS for custom products
- Work closely with the Commercial Team to gain a clear understanding of customer needs during the development process through documentation of product specifications and customer requirements
- Effectively communicate custom capabilities on customer calls, and overcome limitations by working collaboratively across functions to identify creative solutions
- Assist R&D in the creation of development samples, including activities such as dilution, absorbance measurement, and buffer preparation
- Write work instructions, change control documentation, procedures, and product specifications for custom products
- Streamline processes for product implementation and develop tools to enable ease of design and customization for product offerings
- Support non-conformance investigations and perform root-cause analysis for custom products
- Support R&D scientists, Product Managers, and Sales from product concept and feasibility to launch through development of project plans, coordination of internal resources, and tracking project performance
- Work closely with production teams to transfer new processes and improve existing processes
- Support general custom product team goals
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Skills and Requirements
The candidate should have a degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, engineering or a related discipline, and customer facing industry experience. Experience in the following areas is considered highly desirable: next-generation sequencing (NGS), sample preparation, PCR, synthetic biology and process development. Previous experience in technical writing, product management, or other commercial functions of life science business is considered a plus.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- Experience with developing and implementing ISO 13485:2016 or ISO 9001:2015 compliant manufacturing methods and procedures
- The ability to innovate in ways to make complex offerings available through simple and controlled processes that meet established quality standards
- Experience in product development and presenting technical information to groups with various scientific backgrounds
- Knowledge of reagent production processes, manufacturing capabilities, and process design to create efficient and compliant manufacturability
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to gain consensus and align departments to a common objective
- Critical thinking skills to anticipate customer needs and proactively solve problems
- Initiative in identifying and addressing process and product deficiencies
- Ability to determine project timelines and meet deadlines
- The ability to multitask, perform consistently under pressure and work without supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a cross-functional team
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques such as PCR, cloning and next-generation sequencing
- Good communication and personal task management skills and a high level of self-motivation
- Must be familiar with Google’s suite of programs (Sheets, Docs, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience
- PhD in life science or engineering and 3+ yrs customer facing industry experience, or:
- MS/MA and 3-6+ yrs customer facing industry experience, or:
- BS/BA and 5-8+ yrs customer facing industry experience
The base compensation for the Custom Product Coordinator role starts at $70,000-85,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Short Term Disability, EAP, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
To apply for the position, please submit the following in a PDF format on watchmakergenomics.com:
- Letter of motivation
- Resume or Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred. If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of three professional references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.
All applicants will be asked if currently eligible to work in the United States of America; and if now or in the future will require visa sponsorship to continue working in the United States.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.