Watchmaker Genomics is an early-stage life science company based in Boulder, Colorado and has an R&D facility in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team is passionate about innovation and values collaboration, creativity and scientific rigor. We believe the intersection of biology, engineering and computer science presents exciting opportunities for developing novel technologies that promote research and improve human health. Watchmaker Genomics specializes in the design, development and production of DNA- and RNA-modifying enzymes that enable high-growth applications in genomics, molecular diagnostics and personalized medicine.
Watchmaker Genomics is inviting applications for the full-time position of Senior Bioinformatics Engineer. This position reports to the Director of Computational Biology, and will be responsible for both robust internal analytical pipeline development and mathematical model development. Furthermore, this individual will lead projects involving the design, development, and implementation of novel algorithms for analyzing large sequencing data sets to extract information on the functionality of novel enzymes for RNA/DNA manipulation, and modules or kits for analysis of nucleic acids in a variety of experimental contexts. The development of automated analytical pipelines requires rigorous, scalable software development and testing, as well as a deep understanding of existing tools for sequence data analysis. Implementation of novel algorithms will require both strong sequence analysis and quantitative/statistical analysis. The ideal candidate will also have a firm understanding of the basic molecular biology of sequencing library preparation.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced working environment and contribute directly to our company culture and success. The position provides an opportunity to gain valuable experience in both innovative bioinformatics and computational biology, as they relate to the development of high quality products for genomics, in addition to the development of robust internal infrastructure to enhance our R&D efficiency. If desired, opportunities to mentor and manage more junior bioinformaticists and engineers will be available over time.
- Contribute to a highly innovative and efficient R&D computational biology program
- Develop novel algorithms for the analysis of a wide variety of sequencing data sets
- Be a key contributor to a well-engineered and documented code base
- Contribute to strategies for efficient data management for the purpose of maximizing learning from new and historical datasets
- The option to train and manage junior bioinformatics scientists and software engineers may become available over time
- Participate in customer collaborations and product support
- Identify opportunities for internal process improvement
The candidate should have a Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, mathematics/statistics, or physics with 2+ years of industry experience (or an M.Sc with 5+ years industry) in bioinformatics, computational biology, mathematics/statistics, or physics.
The candidate must have a proven track record of high-throughput sequencing data analysis in addition to a strong foundation in quantitative data analysis. Strong software development skills and a basic understanding of methods of sequencing library preparation are required. Experience in other areas including structural biology, data extraction from large biological databases (e.g. GEO, TCGA, JGI genome database, etc) is a plus.
The following skills and experience are requirements for the position:
- Proficiency in Python is required as well as , familiarity with at least one statically typed languages such as C++, Java, or Rust is required; familiarity with R is a plus
- An understanding of source control tools such as git as well as software testing frameworks
- A working knowledge of relational databases and schema design. Knowledge of ORMs and database migrations are a plus
- A strong foundation in statistics and advanced bioinformatics algorithms and best practices
- An understanding of existing tools for sequencing data analysis, including GATK, bwa, MACS, STAR, kallisto, DESeq2, and others
- A basic understanding of molecular biology techniques such as PCR and sequencing library preparation
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work as an effective member of a goal-oriented team
- Adept and creative problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan, build, troubleshoot, complete and scale software solutions to advanced data analysis problems
- Excellent organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience
- Ph.D. or an M.Sc (plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience) in bioinformatics, computational biology, mathematics/statistics, or physics.
The budgeted range for the Senior Bioinformatics Engineer position starts at $85,000-$110,000 + bonus + equity; actual pay will be adjusted based on skills and experience. Employees are eligible for Flexible Time Off, Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
Applications without a Letter of Motivation will not be considered. Local candidates preferred.
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
If selected to participate in the interview process, the names and contact information of two references who are able to assess your suitability for the position in terms of the specified requirements will be requested.
Watchmaker Genomics is committed to being an equal opportunity employer and creating a culturally diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics as protected by applicable law.